Tuesday 11 March 2008

Better late than never - Ginger Sponge


Well, its a bit later than anticipated due to camera hitches but the cake was made and the verdict is in...Very easy to make (even when I have to interfere and change the recipe slightly), tasted ok to me but the rest of the family LOVED it!

The instructions said that opening the oven door and banging it shut again half way through would make it very gooey and sticky in the the middle - This didn't happen to me but then again I'm glad it didn't! The same instructions said that it was best eaten straightaway but I thought it improved over the course of 24 (ish) hours - It didn't last long enough to find out any longer.

To make:
2 cups S R Flour - I used 1/3 porridge oats for a bit of a bite which I think made it slightly more interesting
1 cup Caster Sugar
3oz butter
2 tsp ground ginger
2 Tbsp golden syrup or 1/2 and 1/2 treacle and syrup - I had no syrup so used all treacle and it turned out ok.
1 tsp bicarb soda dissolved in half a cup of boiling water
1 cup milk


Method:
1. Put all dry ingredients in a large bowl
2. Melt butter and syrup
3. Add to dry ingredients
4. Add dissolved bicard or soda followed by the milk
5. beat until a clear batter
6. Pour into greased and lined 9" round cake tin and bake for approx. 1 hour 350F or 180C

Now for this week's assignment...Chocolate and Orange Biscuits! Can't wait!

2 comments:

Mosaic*Queen said...

I hope you don't mind....I helped myself to the cake and it was quite delicious! Yum!
Also, thanks for stopping by my blog...much appreciated!
Hugs!
Michelle

Stef said...

I've never heard of ginger sponge cake. Sounds great!